October 27, 2003
Translation: FTAA Secretariat
FTAA – CONSULTATIVE GROUP ON SMALLER ECONOMIESPROJECT PROFILES ON COMMERCIAL
Commercial Intelligence Unit
Creation of a unit that carries out market research and studies of exportable
supply, and that implements insertion strategies for national products with
The identification of commercialization opportunities for national products with
export potential would complement the efforts undertaken by the Ministry of
Foreign Relations to increase the markets for Dominican products through the
negotiation of trade agreements.
It is important to note that the Dominican Republic currently does not have an
entity that performs this kind of research or that develops national insertion
strategies in coordination with the various entities that participate in the
negotiation, application, and exploitation of agreements so as to also
support the negotiating team and the production sectors of the Dominican
Republic in the economic liberalization and globalization initiatives and
processes currently underway.
• To strengthen the technical capacity of the negotiating team by
carrying out market research and studies of exportable supply, and by providing
training and strategic information.
• To encourage the participation of the national production sectors in the
design and implementation of the country’s trade insertion policies.
• To link the various entities that participate in the negotiations of the
agreements to the project’s initiatives.
• To improve the dissemination of information on trade agreements through the
establishment of efficient data bases.
• To improve the performance of the foreign trade sector in the Dominican
• To foster the country’s economic stability and improve the living conditions
of the Dominican people by generating jobs and attracting foreign investment.
The different public and private sectors of national life are expected to
participate in order to achieve the following results:
• An established commercial intelligence program.
Implementing Institution: Ministry of Foreign Relations.
• A negotiating team that is well-advised and stronger in the different areas of
• The proactive participation of the Dominican Republic in the various
• Established databases on trade agreements.
• Production sectors and government entities working together in the design and
application of commercial intelligence policies.
• National competitiveness in an improved export sector.
• Broader coverage of Dominican products and services in the world market.
Duration: 5 years.